Wednesday 14 April 2010

Hanabatake Bokujo Cafe, Roppongi Hills, Tokyo

Beautiful and sunny morning in Tokyo :)

We decide to stroll around Roppongi Hills until we spot a cute Cafe just below the Mori tower.

It's Hanabatake Bokujo Cafe, for details and address click this link http://www.roppongihills.com/shops_restaurants/restaurants/en/cafe/209110005.html
















Perfect timing as we need a little tickle for our stomach before a long walk until lunch time.

















As I go in, I feel like jumping around, up and down!! I can't believe what I'm seeing!!! OMG!! It's MELON PAN!!! God knows for how long I've been longing one!

















There are 2 main reasons why I'm very curious about the bread:
1. About 8 years ago they were on trend here in Japan. I heard about it from Tora's brother, Giri, who had a school trip back then, he had been raving about it ever since.
2. An episode from anime called Yakitate *cough cough nerd.
It's an anime specialized in bread making and competition. More or less like "Born To Cook" with the same quirky and hyperbolic reaction. Very amusing to watch because it's funny and also educating (you'd learn a lot about baking terms).
There is one episode where they hold a melon pan competition. I drooled instantly looking at the bold graphic and hearing comments from the TV screen. Since then, melon pan has been haunting me. Like seriously. I've been searching all around Jakarta and Singapore's bakery but only to meet great disappointments.

Here's the wikipedia link about yakitate in case you're wondering :) search for the melon pan episode.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakitate!!_Japan

So, you can only imagine how excited I am now. Only moments away from tasting it.

Ok here goes....
















Just the way I imagined it to be. Perfect crisp outerlayer.  Warm, fragrant bread. A little bit chewy but in a good way. Sweet and rich filling that taste absolutely wonderful, must be coming from a good quality melon. This reminds me a bit of "Roti Boy" for their similarity in texture.

Please eat it while it's still warm.

All in all, it's like I'm eating the exact original melon pan from yakitate. Sooo happy. I feel like dancing in a melon world.

Ok. Let's move on :)
















Actually the star of this Cafe is the Caramel on ice cream. It's a popular dessert. And of course I am tempted to try it.
















Look at the caramel and chocolate sauce. Of course I'd choose their speciality. The caramel sauce.
















First, the ice cream. It's rich, soft, milky, ooohhhh pure goodness! I could eat it alone without any topping. Taste very honest and simple. Not at all sweet almost taste like cream. Perfect. High quality ingredients for sure.

Then the caramel sauce. The hot caramel sauce. OMG. Sweet, a bit salty and buttery in a perfect hot and thick consistency. Superb.

Now you combine both it's a match made from heaven. For real.

No comments:

Post a Comment